Amalgams, Allergic Reactions and Oral Lichenoid Reactions
[If you view the bibliograhy by following a link to a reference, please use the 'Back' button on your browser to return to the place at which you left-off reading.]
True allergy is only one of the possible immune reactions to mercury. General sensitivity to the metals in amalgams also exist. Mercury from amalgams has been implicated in immune disease. Lindquist &Mornstad (250) concluded that "It thus seems that mercury released from amalgam fillings may inititate or support an ongoing immune disease" and called for further research.
In 13 studies (251 ,252, 253, 254, 255, 256 ,257 ,258 ,259 ,260 ,261 ,262 ,263) 65%-100% of patients suffering from Oral lichenoid reactions experienced an improvement or total remission of their symptoms after their amalgams were removed. In 9 of those studies they tested for allergic reactions to mercury. In 3 of them the reseachers reported 100% of the participants as testing allergic to mercury and the others reported 19%-62% of the subjects showing allergic responses.
In the absence of any large studies to look at this problem one can only speculate on the financial cost to the community and the health care system of such a widespread effect on peoples immune systems. Few medical practitioners, and virtually no dentists, have the training to diagnose such an allergy. It would be unfortunate if the influence of dismissive opinions such as those expressed by Professor Moore prevailed as a substitute for a serious attempt to study this issue.